Thursday, July 5, 2007

Czech-Switzerland is where?


Lots to catch up on. Here's the first.

Nino and Raffy asked me a couple weeks back if I'd like to go hiking with them for a weekend in Czech-Switzerland. Without thinking, I said "why not" because A) hiking sounded like something I should do in Switzerland, and B) what single person really listens when married people say stuff, anyway?

Details are that we're leaving at 9:30am on that Saturday morning. Because of all the days I would choose to wake up before 12:30pm in the month of June, a Saturday would certainly be one of them. Brilliant plan!! As for my brilliant plan? Log a rather pedestrian 6:30am night (as 6:30am nights tend to go), and stumble back to Casa de Tasca to steal some sleep.

I wake up about two hours later to the not-so-disturbing sentation someone tenderly, yet fervently licking my foot. Nice! I look up and find out it's the dog, which I'm totally ok with. I learn a short time later that my foot has been baited with peanut butter, which honestly, kind of ruins the fantasy. I wake up grumpy as hell, and Raffy, laughing, needs to be told that had she put the peanut butter elsewhere, I may have woken with a slightly more pleasant disposition. I guess that should come as a surprise to no one...

I pack up and pull myself together, albeit sans shower, and am in the car in perfect Ar0nson Time; about 9:50am. Come to find out that there is another couple involved here too, and now I'm the 5th-wheeling, hungover, random friend in backseat. Ipods were made for these occasions. Power>Playlists>Trance>Play>[snore].

I wake up many hours later, mildly refreshed, taunted by everyone that they stopped for food when I'm CLEARLY hungry, and greeted with the news that we're almost there.

"Am I ready to hike??? I'm going to climb the SHIT out of that mountain!!"

I soon learn that Czech-Switzerland is actually nowhere near Switzerland at all. In fact, it has nothing to do with Switzerland, and why should I really think that anything Czech should? This is like if I took you to Manasquan and called it Jersey Maui.

Naughty By Nature knows this ideal, calling Jersey City "Chilltown," which I've since adopted. That's similarly brilliant. Boogie-Down Bronx, Garden State, these guys all get it. My parents live in Smyrna, DE, or: Walmart's Taint. Now we're getting somewhere...

So in terms of actual accomplishments, I did totally dominate the "mountain" which was about as challenging a hike as Tripod Rock in northern Jersey. I guess that's why they call it Czech-Switzerland? It's the most Switzerland the Czech Rep. has to offer, really. There were some cool views, of which pictures will be posted soon, I promise. Once again, Blogger is not really down with uploads. [This Blogger is actually a really shitty product. But I digress...]

Those of you wanting pictures are going to have to wait until I put together some Snapfish action or something. If you wanted to see these places badly enough, you'd put down your protractors, drown your lousy kids, and book a flight. In the event that sounds like more work than you're apt to sign up for, then be patient and I'll try to get something up this week.

Side story: the other couple that went with us to Czech-Switzerland has since been breaking or is broken up. All I know is that the guy, Arin, is not a guy I'd want to take anywhere more than 10 meters from a bike trail, and Nino's dished him my number without asking. Now Arin and I are hanging out tomorrow. Boy, am I psyched. Did I say psyched? I meant teeth-gnashingly furious. Nino has serious payback coming....

No comments: